Monday, January 25, 2010

In over our heads

So, after a somewhat extended hiatus, I'm back. I'm going to try to post a bit more often this year. This video actually features someone I went to high school with back in the day, and its a very interesting take on the young Jewish community. I personally know several couples where the partners are at varying levels of frumkeit, and it's gratifying to know that this is becoming more widespread. As an atheist that still self-identifies as a Jew, on a tribal and cultural level, I think that this is an important step in making Judaism less the cloistered, dogmatic religion it has been, and into something that can become relevant again. Even though I don't believe in god or religion, I can't deny that it is useful to some people. The problem that I have with religion is when it is dogmatic and theocratic.

1 comment: